Tim is a litigation partner based in New York.
Tim represents clients in complex commercial litigation. He has played prominent roles in major cases involving international financial service and accounting firms in securities fraud cases, hedge fund-related litigation, commercial disputes and before bankruptcy courts.
Professional services and private equity firms, manufacturers and media companies call upon his expertise in commercial arbitrations and civil litigation arising from claims of fraud, breach of contract, malpractice, and veil piercing.
Tim is active in alumni affairs at Yale, and serves on the Association of Yale Alumni’s Board of Governors and the Board of the Yale Alumni Service Corps. He has received the Association of Yale Alumni’s Leadership Award, as well as an Alumni Excellence Award.
- A major global aviation company in civil litigation in South America relating to a disputed aircraft financing arrangement and the collapse of a South American airline;
- An international trust structure administered out of Monaco in alleged subsequent transfers in a Madoff clawback action – the matter involves parallel litigation in the UK and Bermuda;
- Professional services firms, manufacturers and media companies in commercial arbitrations and civil litigation arising from claims of fraud, breach of contract, malpractice, veil piercing and patent infringement – such as US Electronics, Inc. v. Sirius Satellite Radio Inc., Keystone Autonics v. Sirius Satellite Radio Inc.,In re Extended Stay Hotels Bankruptcy;
- International financial service and accounting firms in securities fraud cases, hedge fund-related litigation and commercial disputes, including Enron, In re Parmalat Securities Litigation, New York v. Grasso, and litigation arising from tax shelter investigations and the Madoff fraud; and
- The Creditors Committee in the Magna Entertainment bankruptcy in litigation concerning the recharacterization of debt and equitable subordination claims that forced a settlement resulting in a substantial recovery for creditors, a result the Bankruptcy Court judge called ‘phenomenal’.
Recent articles written by Tim include:
- Legal Week - “What to do when the US wants YOU - Freshfields on the myths and realities of the US justice system” – September 29, 2011;
- New York Law Journal - “'Voom' Court Adopts 'Zubulake' Standard for Preserving Electronic Data” – March 7, 2012; and
- Thomson Reuters News & Insights – “Chinese companies under fire: The recent boom in U.S. securities cases against Chinese public companies” – February 23, 2012.
Qualifications and education
University of Michigan – J.D., cum laude
Law Review Contributing Editor
Yale University – B.A., cum laude
Admitted – Connecticut, New York, United States District Courts for the Northern and Southern Districts of New York and the Central District of Illinois, and the United States Circuit Court for the Tenth Circuit