Stephen is a partner in our Singapore, Hong Kong and London offices and is co-head of our global capital markets practice.
Stephen is a senior partner in the firm and is based in our Singapore office. He is an all round corporate lawyer and specialises in private M&A, JVs etc, privatisations, debt and equity security offerings, structured finance and market regulation.
Stephen spent four years working in the US whilst being our US managing partner, and was also based in our Hong Kong office where he is still an active practitioner. Stephen has broad sector experience and is always fully involved in the drafting and negotiations - he is very much a "hands on" partner. He is a highly experienced emerging markets specialist - one who can get the job done to international standards in a developing business and legal environment. He has spent time on secondment to clients and works hard at understanding client goals and challenges.
In capital markets work, he acts for both issuers and underwriters and has a deep understanding of market norms and practices (including the need to respect the fact that all issuers are different). His relationships with securities regulators around the world gives him a clear perspective and understanding of the policy drivers for disclosure documents.
"With 'great knowledge', Stephen Revell is 'the standout star, hands-on and very user friendly'"
Legal 500 2012
‘... one of the world’s most highly rated capital markets lawyers… much in demand for his knowledge of emerging markets.’
Who’s Who Legal 2011
- Advising Seadrill, one of the world's largest drilling rig companies, on the US$3bn disposal of its tender rig business to Sapura Kencana in Malaysia.
- Advising Nomura on the implementation of its acquistion of various Lehman businesses throughout the world including leading and co-ordinating a team of over 100 lawyers in Freshfields and external counsel working on this extensive and complex transaction.
- Advising CVC and Matahari Department Stores, the largest department store retailer in Indonesia, on a US$1.3bn international offering of shares.
- Advising AES Corporation on the sale of AES Kazakhstan Holdings BV, AES Ekibastuz Holding BV and Emerging Energy Investments and Holdings BV, holding major power and mining assets in Kazakhstan, to Kazakhmys PLC, one of the largest copper producers in the world.
- Advising New China Life Insurance on its US$1.9bn global offering of shares and listing on the Hong Kong and Shanghai stock exchanges – the only simultaneous A + H shares listing in 2011.
- Advising the joint global coordinators on the IPO and listing of GDRs of KazMunaiGas ('KMG EP'), one of the leading oil and gas companies in the Republic of Kazakhstan.
Qualifications and education
Stephen was educated at Christ’s College, Cambridge and is qualified to practice English and Hong Kong law.
He joined the firm from university and became a partner in 1987; was based in the New York office as US managing partner from 1998-2002. He moved to Asia in 2011 and is presently based in our Singapore office.