Tony has unparalleled knowledge and experience of business in Vietnam. He has lived and practised in Hanoi since 1994, and helps clients work through the issues in doing business in Vietnam, which often originate from the vagueness inherent in Vietnamese legislation.
Tony is consistently recognised by all law firm surveys as one of the best lawyers in Vietnam, and – in the most recent survey – is in his own separate “star” category above the other leading lawyers in the country. He is responsible for our Vietnamese and foreign lawyers, and manages one of the best legal teams in the country. This team has worked together to help foreign clients in landmark deals in Vietnam for over 21 years.
- Governor, American Chamber of Commerce, 1995–present.
- Chairman, American Chamber of Commerce, 2002–03.
- Member of the Executive Committee and Chairman of the Infrastructure Committee of the Vietnam Business Forum.
“Tony Foster is singled out by sources for his long experience in the Vietnamese market, as well as the "top-class advice" that he provides. I couldn't wish for a better and more trustworthy adviser; he is the best I've come across”
Chambers Asia-Pacific 2015
Tony Foster is ranked as Star individual in Corporate/M&A by Chambers 2014. "He is widely regarded as a leading light in the Vietnamese market. He really goes the extra mile to resolve any issue"
Chambers Asia-Pacific 2014
"We were extremely impressed by Tony's work for us. We work with many counsels around the world and the service provided by him exceeded what one would consider excellent"
IFLR 1000 2014
"Tony Foster is a well-known figure in the market and has an excellent reputation for his vast expertise. Clients appreciate his "value-added commercial insights in addition to his excellent legal advice”."
Chambers Asia-Pacific 2013
Qualifications and education
- Member of the State Bar of California.
- Registered as a foreign legal practitioner with the Vietnamese Ministry of Justice.
- Scholar at Winchester College, Hampshire, England.
- Exhibitioner at St John's College, Cambridge – law degree, 1979.
- Second degree in law (JD) from the University of California in 1984, where he graduated magna cum laude.
English and French