Simone came to Freshfields in 2011 to help build the firm’s high-yield bond practice. Before joining the firm, she practised in New York for 10 years focusing on high-yield bond offerings, leveraged buy-outs, debt restructurings, initial public offerings and other corporate finance transactions, and now brings that training and expertise to London.
While US-educated, Simone's background is Swiss and she is fluent in German, French and Spanish. She combines these language skills with her Wall Street background to offer clients all-round expertise in high-yield and other corporate finance transactions across Europe. Since joining, she has been involved in a range of deals across the Continent.
One of Simone's areas of focus is Switzerland
. She has strong personal and professional ties in the Swiss market and an in-depth knowledge of the legal and cultural aspects of doing business in Switzerland.
"Simone Bono is very talented and great to work with".
Legal 500 2014 - High Yield
"Patient and insightful US securities partner Simone Bono works extremely hard and is a true expert"; "she is noted for her top-class response times and brilliant industry experience".
Legal 500 2013 - High Yield
Simone was recognized as a “Leading Individual” in High Yield by Legal 500.
Legal 500 2014; Legal 500 2013
Simone was recognized as a “Rising Star” in Capital Markets: High‑Yield Debt by the IFLR1000: The Guide to the World’s Leading Financial Law Firms.
• Advising Holcim on the staple financing for the €6.5bn divestment in connection with its merger with Lafarge.
• Advising Credit Suisse on the high yield bond offering by 4finance.
• Advising BUT on its high yield bond offering and dividend recapitalisation.
• Advising the ad-hoc group of bondholders on the restructuring of New World Resources.
• Advising Deutsche Bank and Credit Suisse on the high yield bond offering by SGL Group.
• Advising BC Partners in relation to its private high yield financing for the acquisition of Springer Science + Media Group.
• Advising Deutsche Bank and RBS on the high yield bond offering by the Automobile Association as part of a £3 billion refinancing.
• Advising Deutsche Bank and HSBC on high yield bond offerings by Wepa Papierfabrik GmbH.
• Advising ista International GmbH on its dual-tranche high yield bond offering to finance its acquisition by CVC.
• Advising Arrow Global and RBS Special Opportunities Fund on Arrow Global's high yield bond offering; advising on Arrow Global's initial public offering and listing on the London Stock Exchange.
• Advising Macquarie and Techem on Techem's dual-tranche high yield bond offering in connection with its €1.3 billion refinancing (shortlisted as 2013 High Yield Deal of the Year by IFLR).
• Advising RBS on the high yield bond offering by Center Parcs as part of a £1.0 billion refinancing (shortlisted as 2013 High Yield Deal of the Year by IFLR).
Career to date
Simone spent 10 years building her corporate finance practice with Simpson Thacher & Bartlett LLP in New York, before joining Freshfields in 2011.
Qualifications and education
LLM, New York University School of Law.
Lic.iur, magna cum laude, University of Bern, Switzerland.
Admitted to practise in New York and Zurich.
English, German, French, Spanish