Shawn’s practice is focused on cross-border M&A and private equity. He has an international background and experience that are ideally suited to that environment.
Shawn regularly advises clients on big-ticket M&A that involves co-ordinating teams in multiple jurisdictions across Europe and Africa. As a result, he knows how to run a global cross-practice transaction and manage teams in dozens of jurisdictions.
He works with clients in the energy and chemical sectors, multinational consumer product groups, TMT and some of the international banks. He also regularly acts for financial investers such as private equity funds, infrastructive funds, sovereign wealth funds and pension funds.
Shawn originally qualified as a South African lawyer and is co-head of the firm's Africa Group. As such he co-ordinates and manages the firm's activities across the African continent.
'Shawn der Kinderen is "a brilliant, business-oriented lawyer who continues to impress," sources say.'
Chambers Europe 2013
Satisfied clients describe him as "a great negotiator who focuses on the important things in discussions," adding: "He is very much in control and gives us the feeling we are in good hands."
Chambers Global 2015
"He's a very good communicator with an excellent understanding of our business. He is strong in negotiations and tough on some points, but is also balanced, sympathetic and solution-oriented."
Chambers Europe 2014
- Essent, the largest Dutch utility, on the €9.3bn sale of its production, trading and supply business to RWE AG and on the resolution of its ongoing dispute with Delta Energy regarding the nuclear power plant in Borssele, the Netherlands.
- Sara Lee on the disposal of its household and body care business, including transactions with Unilever, Procter & Gamble, SC Johnson, Spotless and Godrej.
- Credit Suisse initially on the acquisition of Prime Fund Solutions from ABN AMRO and a subsequent sale of that business to BNP Paribas.
- Liberty Global and its subsidiary Telenet on its acquisition of BASE from KPN.
- Advent on its public offer to acquire Mediq N.V.
- Warburg Pincus on its disposal of Clondalkin's specialty packaging division.
- PGGM on its acquisition of a majority stake in a Germany real estate portfolio.
Career to date
Shawn was educated at the University of Stellenbosch in South Africa. In 1999, he moved to the Netherlands to work with Loeff Claeys Verbeke, before joining our Amsterdam office in 2000. Shawn also holds a post-graduate degree from the Grotius Academy (University of Nijmegen) for post-graduate specialisation studies in Dutch corporate law.
Qualifications and education
Attorney in South Africa
European Advocate in the Netherlands
Solicitor in England and Wales
Dutch, English and Afrikaans