Patrick specialises in domestic and cross-border private and public M&A, corporate restructurings and corporate governance/compliance, with a particular focus on financial institutions. Besides, he has a good knowledge of the energy (especially offshore wind farms) and infrastructure/transport sectors.
Clients appreciate his in-depth understanding of business. His MBA degree enables him to focus on and add value to the commercial aspects of a transaction. Furthermore, a nine months’ secondment to Deutsche Bank’s M&A department in New York gave Patrick first-hand experience of the workings of a large financial institution. Clients also like an efficient, hands-on approach that gets deals done, and enjoy working with a team player.
Patrick is very comfortable with complex, high profile transactions. Since 2009 he is advising HSH Nordbank on its restructuring including advice on new areas of financial regulation like recovery and resolution planing or advice with regard to the stresstest carried out by the ECB. Furthermore, he regularly advices financial institutions on M&A transactions.
Patrick also writes about corporate law and financial regulations and is a regular speaker at conferences and seminars on M&A, stock corporation law, financial regulation and other business related topics.
Patrick is our lead country partner for Scandinavia.
- Advising HSH Nordbank on its recapitalization and on corporate restructuring projects as well as with regard to the stresstest carried out by the ECB (since 2009);
- Advising Deutsche Bank on strategic M&A, among others on the sale of BHF-BANK (2010 - 2013);
- Advising Det Norske Veritas on its merger with Germanischer Lloyd (2012);
- Advising Deutsche Post on the sale of Deutsche Postbank to Deutsche Bank (2010);
- Advising the City of Hamburg on the partial privatisation of the Port of Hamburg; the IPO included an innovative, award-winning tracking stock structure, the first of its kind for a German listed company (2007).
Career to date
Patrick joined the firm in 2004 and worked in our Hamburg and Frankfurt offices as well as in Deutsche Bank's M&A department in New York. He became a partner in 2011.
Qualifications and education
Law, Freiburg and Grenoble Universities
Research assistant and lecturer in law, Freiburg University
Doctorate in law, Freiburg University
Master of Business Administration (MBA), University of Wales
Rechtsanwalt, Bundesrepublik Deutschland
German, English and French