Antitrust, competition and trade
Onno manages successful practices in both our Amsterdam and Brussels offices. He focuses on EU law litigation and all areas of EU and Dutch competition law, and is well-known for his technical ability and advocacy skills.
Clients appreciate his collaborative approach, which he combines with advice that is always pragmatic and realistic. He also offers an in-depth knowledge of the powers and functioning of the authorities and courts.
Clients come to him when they need strategic representation in challenging EU and antitrust matters and litigation. Onno has acted on complex EU litigation since 1983 and is widely recognised as a leading litigator before the EU and Dutch courts.
He has a long history of assisting clients in transactions, top-level meetings with authorities, antitrust investigations, including state aid, and court proceedings.
Onno is also one of the firm’s Scandinavia
‘country partners’. He has a particular focus on Norway and has represented Norwegian clients in a range of matters and proceedings.
He contributes regularly to publications and courses on EU and antitrust law. He is an active member, and former chairman, of the Permanent Delegation of the Council of the Bars and Law Societies of the EU to the EU Courts (Court of Justice, General Court and the European Free Trade Association Court).
'A "very impressive operator, known across Europe for his strategic planning and persuasive litigation skills".'
Who's Who Legal, 2016
'Onno Brouwer is particularly highly regarded for his competition litigation expertise.'
Chambers Global, 2015
- Representing several companies in state aid and abuse of dominance proceedings before the European Commission and the General Court of the EU.
- Assisting a wide variety of clients in M&A transactions and antitrust investigations and related litigation, including many follow-on civil damages claims proceedings.
- Successfully representing Turco, Heidi Hautala, Guardian Newspapers, Access Info Europe and others in landmark transparency cases before the General Court and the Court of Justice, challenging EU institutions on openness and accountability.
Career to date
Legal Secretary at the European Court of Justice in LuxembourgConducting EU practice in Brussels and Amsterdam
Qualifications and education
- Member of the Amsterdam and Brussels Bars
- French Baccalaureate C (Academy of Grenoble)
- Law degree, specialising in civil law and economic and European Community law (University of Amsterdam)
Dutch, English, French, German and Italian