Intellectual property and information technology
Markus specialises in various fields of IP law, in particular in patent law as well as the law of unfair competition. He has substantial experience in all kinds of IP-litigation and arbitration, in particular in patent litigation with a focus on the IT sector. His clients include a number of major international companies in the consumer electronics and telecommunication, media and technology industries, which he represents in complex patent litigation.
Markus also advises regards licensing and transactional IP issues, as well as matters of copyright and unfair competition law.
"Often recommended" (Patent Law)
JUVE Handbuch Wirtschaftskanzleien 2013/2014
- Representing a global leader in consumer electronics in extensive patent litigation proceedings
- Representing a globally leading software manufacturer in several complex patent litigation proceedings
- Representing international corporations in multiple complex ICC arbitration proceedings with patent-/technology related focus
- Advising clients from the film-, publishing- and media business in copyright issues
- Representing clients from various industries in matters of unfair competition
Career to date
Markus received his legal education at the Justus-Liebig-University of Giessen, where he also earned his Doctor of Laws degree (Dr iur). Following his legal traineeship in Konstanz, Speyer and Columbia (SC, USA), he completed an LL M program at the University of San Diego (CA, USA).
Before joining the firm, he worked as a legal assistant for Clifford Chance in Frankfurt and at the Justus-Liebig-University of Giessen. He published his doctoral thesis on the subject of trademark protection of shapes and designs as well as several articles on copyright law and is a member of the German Association of Intellectual Property (GRUR).
Markus joined the firm as an Associate in 2006 and speaks German and English. Markus was promoted to Principal Associate in November 2010 and was appointed Counsel as of May 2012. In 2011, Markus was seconded to Sony Pictures Entertainment (Los Angeles), where he supported the in-house legal team for six months.
Qualifications and education
- Rechtsanwalt, Bundesrepublik Deutschland
- Dr. iur., Justus-Liebig-University of Giessen
- Master of Laws (LL.M.), University of San Diego, CA, USA