Gavin is the head of our Asia-Pacific energy and natural resources practice and a managing partner of our Singapore office.
Over the last 20 years, Gavin has acted for multi-national corporations, governments, international organisations, financial institutions, private equity investors and sovereign wealth funds across the Asia-Pacific. He is particularly sought after for his abilities in structuring and negotiating complex cross border mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and project developments.
Gavin also provides public international law advice in connection with overlapping international boundary claims, sovereignty over territory and resources regulation.
Clients say, “he’s very experienced, very sharp. He has a great legal mind and is very good at navigating complex issues and transactions."
Chambers Asia-Pacific 2016 – Singapore Corp M&A 2016
Awarded “Energy Lawyer of the Year”, Asian Lawyer Awards in both 2014 and 2015.
Asian Lawyer Awards 2014 and 2015
- Six Japanese trading houses, five Japanese chemical companies and JICA in complex negotiations with the Government of Indonesia concerning the termination of a long term joint venture for the development and operation of the Asahan hydroelectric power project and associated aluminium smelter in North Sumatra, including disposal of the Japanese parties’ interests to the Indonesian Government for USD 557 million and the settlement of all claims.
- Qatar Holding LLC, a subsidiary of the Qatar Investment Authority (QIA), on its participation in a consortium for the take-private valued at US$6.74bn of Australia-listed Asciano Limited.
- Hess Corporation on the disposal of its Indonesian businesses to PTTEP, Pertamina and to Saka for a combined USD 1.3 billion and its Thai business to PTTEP for USD 1 billion.
- A range of financial investors, including KKR, Blackstone, Warburg Pincus, Abraaj, GA and OTPP, on transactions in the ENR, TMT, infrastructure and real estate sectors.
- Chevron on its acquisition of a 49 percent interest from PetroChina in the USD 5 billion Chuangdongbei sour gas project, Sichuan province, China.
- Inpex in connection with the development of its USD 12 billion Masela Floating LNG project in Indonesia.
- CITIC in connection with its USD 10 billion magnetite iron ore project at Cape Preston, Western Australia, including captive 800MW power station, desalination plant, mine, processing facilities and jetty.
- Total on its acquisition of a 27.5 percent interest from Santos and Petronas in the USD 16 billion Gladstone CBM LNG project.
Qualifications and education
Gavin is admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales and in Australia. He is entitled to practise in Singapore as a Registered Foreign Lawyer.