Günther is head of the International Arbitration Group in Vienna and is known for his wide range of expertise. He has acted as counsel and arbitrator in more than one hundred high-profile disputes in the last 35 years and has developed his skills as an “outstanding strategist and heavyweight in ICC and Vienna rules arbitration”. Günther has been counsel in more than seventy arbitration matters under the Rules of the ICC, VIAC and in ad-hoc arbitrations.
His practise specialises in international commercial arbitration with a primary focus on energy matters and corporate disputes as well as industrial engineering.
'Department head Günther Horvath is particularly commended by market observers for his "excellent post-M&A work" and his international experience. Sources say: "There is no question that he is top of the market."'
Chambers Global 2014, Arbitration (International)
'Günther Horvath is "undoubtedly first class" in arbitration.’
Legal 500 Europe 2014
- An energy and environmental services company in an ICSID and in an ICC arbitration against a South Eastern European state in a dispute arising out of a number of government and state-entity measures which affected the investor's investment following the privatisation of the electricity distribution sector.
- A gas import and distribution company in two ICC arbitration proceedings against a major European gas exporter regarding contract and competition law issues and flexibility of suppliers.
- A leading European bank in a post-acquisition arbitration regarding purchase price adjustment claims.
- A global industrial engineering conglomerate in a series of disputes with its contractual partners regarding major engineering and construction works in the United States.
Other professional roles
- Vice President of the Vienna International Arbitral Center (VIAC).
- Former member of the ICC International Court of Arbitration.
- Past-Chair of the IBA Committee on Closely Held and Growing Business Enterprises.
- Chairman Emeritus of Lex Mundi Ltd.
- Member of the Panel of Arbitrators of the SIAC (Singapore International Arbitral Centre), ASA (Association Suisse de l’Arbitrage) and DIS (German Institution of Arbitration).
Günther is co-author of the following books:
- Cost in International Arbitration (Linde 2008); and
- Guerilla Tactics in International Arbitration (Kluwer Law 2013).
He is author of numerous articles and the recent articles are:
- Schiedsgerichte stärken Europäer vor dem US-Gericht (Der Standard 2015);
- Subtle ways of addressing Guerilla Tactics (Austrian Yearbook of International Arbitration 2014);
- Challenge of Arbitrators; Premature Termination of the Arbitrator's Mandate and Effects of the Premature Termination of the Arbitrator's Mandate (in Handbook Vienna Rules A Practitioner's Guide - Vienna International Arbitral Centre of the Austrian Federal Economic Chamber 2014);
- TTIP und die neue Angst vor Schiedsgerichten (Format 2014);
- Der Schutz heimischer Investoren im Ausland (Schriftenreihe Niederösterreichische Juristische Gesellschaft 2014); and
- Arbitrator and Counsel: the Double-hat Dilemma (Transnational Dispute Management 2013).
Günther’s speaking roles include conferences organised by the VIAC, Austrian Arbitration Academy, Ukrainian Bar Association, Petersberger Schiedstage, Hong Kong International Arbitration Center.
Qualifications and education
Günther received his legal education and his law degrees from the University of Graz (Austria) and from New York University (USA).
German and English.