Edward combines expertise in M&A and capital market offerings with deep experience working from three locations (London, Tokyo and Sydney) though he spends a lot of his time helping clients in developing countries. A fluent Japanese speaker, he is a sought after adviser to Japanese investors looking to go offshore, as well as international investors coming to Japan.
The M&A transactions he works on often have additional layers of complexity because they are in regulated environments (particularly the insurance and banking sectors) or are in higher growth developing countries. A significant number of his deals also contain a securities, fund or real estate element.
Edward's clients often find his Australian background useful. He regularly works with Australian investors in Japan and when helping clients with Australian matters experience in his formative years working for the Chief Justice of NSW can be drawn upon.
Edward understands the challenges clients face in what are often complex, cross-border transactions. He focuses on giving them practical advice that helps them achieve their goals with the minimum of fuss.
Clients also appreciate a commercial acumen sharpened by a secondment to Morgan Stanley. Edward has also worked for many years in our London office and clients benefit from his knowledge of the firm and its global expertise.
Edward is also our country partner for Australia
Edward Cole is an accomplished M&A lawyer, highlighted by clients for his "excellent insight and hard work." He recently advised New Kansai International Airport on the sale of Kansai International Airport and Osaka International Airport.
Chambers Global 2016, Corporate/M&A: International - Japan
- Advising Sompo Japan Insurance on its acquisition of insurance businesses (including thourgh a joint venture) in Brazil and Turkey.
- Advising Daimler AG on its strategic cooperation and cross-shareholdings and Renault and Nissan.
- Working with CVC on the acquisition of the largest engineering staffing business in Japan (TechnoPro Holdings).
- Advising Macquarie Goodman Japan on the take private of Japanese property group J-REP.
Career to date
Edward originally qualified in New South Wales, Australia, having worked as the associate to the Chief Justice in that jurisdiction. He joined the firm in 2001 and has worked in London and Tokyo, where he is currently on his second long term secondment.
He became a partner in 2007.
Qualifications and education
- Law and Asian studies, Australian National University, Canberra
- Law, Hitotsubashi University, Tokyo
- Licensed to practice English law in Japan.
English and Japanese.