Carlos represents clients in arbitral proceedings and before United States federal and state courts.
His experience also includes counseling clients on rulemaking proceedings before agencies including the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) and the U.S. Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC), as well as on litigation challenges to U.S. federal and state regulations.
Carlos has also advised clients on matters arising under the U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) as well as under U.S. economic sanctions and export control regulations.
Some of Carlos’ recent engagements include:
- representing a U.S. energy company in a New York-sited ICC arbitration against various subsidiaries of a Latin American State-owned oil company;
- representing a leading luxury goods company in a high-value NAI arbitration arising from a strategic joint venture;
- representing the Federative Republic of Brazil in an international money laundering and asset recovery action in federal district court;
- representing a global engineering, construction and services company in an action brought by plaintiffs alleging violations of international human rights and labor standards under the Alien Tort Statute;
- advising a SIPC-appointed Trustee on international aspects of efforts to recover funds for investors in Bernard L. Madoff Securities LLC;
- advising Oxfam America and Ghanaian civil society organizations on the implementation of the Ghana Petroleum Revenue Act (2010);
- advising a leading financial information company on CFTC regulation of swaps and derivatives trading under the U.S. Dodd-Frank Act;
- advising an international nonprofit organization on SEC rulemaking proceedings to implement resource revenue transparency provisions of the U.S. Dodd-Frank Act and related litigation; and
- advising a U.S. government contractor with operations in more than 60 countries on an internal investigation of export control, sanctions and Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) violations.
Career to date
Associate, Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer US LLP, 2012-Present
Associate, Baker & Hostetler, LLP, 2007-2012
Qualifications and education
- United States District Court, Eastern District of New York, 2011
- United States District Court, Southern District of New York, 2010
- United States District Court, Northern District of Florida, 2010
- United States District Court, Southern District of Texas, 2009
- United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit, 2009
- United States District Court for the District of Columbia, 2009
- Attorney-at-law, District of Columbia, 2009
- Attorney-at-law, New York, 2008
- Harvard Law School, J.D. cum laude, 2004-2007
- Princeton University, Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs, A.B. cum laude, 2000-2004