M&A and similar transactions
With the continued growth of the Turkish economy and constructive legal amendments, there is enormous potential for both international corporates and private equity houses to transact in Turkey as well as for Turkish corporates to conduct complex deals at home and abroad.
Our M&A practice first started working in the region in the 1990s, advising international clients on their transactions in Turkey. Today, we also help Turkish clients with domestic transactions and international M&A activity.
We recently advised:
- the management of Mey Içki on the acquisition of Mey Içki by Diageo
- Tesco on acquiring control of Kipa, a Turkish hypermarket chain listed on the Istanbul stock exchange
- National Bank of Greece on its acquisition of a controlling stake in Finansbank AS for $2.774bn from Fiba Holding and other sellers and its subsequent acquisition of a further 9.68 per cent
- Vaillant Group on its acquisition of Demir Dokum Fabrikalari AS, a Turkish manufacturer of heating products
More Turkish companies are trying to access international capital markets.
We act for issuers, underwriters and selling shareholders as well as for Turkish corporates. Freshfields has unrivalled experience of initial public stock offerings (IPOs) throughout global exchanges and, particularly, on the London Stock Exchange.
- an international investment bank on the IPO of Efes Breweries International, which included issuing GDRs listed on the London Stock Exchange
- an international investment bank on the accelerated book-built secondary offering of shares in Turkcell by its major stockholders
- an international investment bank on the US-registered offering of shares in Turkcell by its major shareholders